If your event needs to check-in registrants on-site in order to track physical attendance at your event, you'll want to use the built-in registrant check-in features of ClearEvent.
Why would I want to check-in registrants?
Checking-in registrants is completely optional, but this practice is useful in a number of scenarios:
- You want to know how many of your registrants physically attended your event.
- You have additional on-site process (e.g. signing waivers, verifying age, handing out swag) and you need to track which registrants have already been processed.
- You need to track volunteer hours and you want to make sure a volunteer actually attended your event.
- You need to communicate resource availability to your team leads and/or volunteer groups so they can make necessary staffing adjustments when registrants do not show up.
How to check-in a registrant:
- Go to the Event Manager App > Registration section > Registrants tab.
- Use the Search box to locate the desired registrant you want to check-in.
- Under the Check-In column, click the checkbox to check-in the registrant.
Jobs & communicating registrant check-ins
If your event uses Jobs to manage work & task assignments to registrant types like volunteers or staff, check-in status information can be shared with registrants assigned to jobs.
As you check-in registrants and assign them to jobs, any other registrants assigned to the same job will be able to easily see who else has checked-in to the event.
This is useful in scenarios where you may have assigned a Team Lead to be in charge of a job and you want the Team Lead to know which registrants assigned to that job have not yet checked-in.
Registrants assigned to jobs can view check-in status by going to the Event Portal > Jobs > Job Details & Tasks page. Registrants can only view check-in status information for team members assigned directly to the same job. Registrants that have been checked-in will have a solid green "person" icon beside their name.
On-site check-in tips:
If you need to check-in registrants on-site we have some useful tips to help you make things run smoothly:
- Set up an on-site registrants check-in desk in an easy to find a location with lots of open space to accommodate the expected number of registrants. Staff registration check-in desks appropriately to avoid long queues and frustrated participants.
- We recommend using the ClearEvent Event Manager App to track check-ins in real-time. You'll need an internet connection and computers (or tablets) for each person at your on-site check-in desk.
- If you don't have an internet connection or enough computers, it's not a problem. Simply export the list of event registrants before your event and print enough copies for each check-in desk staff member. When a registrant checks-in, simply cross them off the list with a pen. You can update ClearEvent later using the marked up printouts so you have a permanent digital record.
NOTE: For off-line scenarios, remember that your check-in staff won't be able to easily cross-reference their printed-out lists to see if a registrant has already been registered. It's for this reason that you should think about creating separate queues to process check-ins. Consider alphabetic queues (e.g. Line #1 is for registrants with the last name starting with a letter between A-F). This ensures a registrant can't register twice on two different physical lists to get extra swag.
- When checking-in registrants using the ClearEvent system, check-in staff can use the Event Manager App > Registration section > Registrants tab > Search box to quickly lookup the desired registrant and then click the checkbox in the Checked-In column to indicate the registrant is not in attendance.
- Your event may require that each check-in staff member work through a checklist with each registrant to ensure they have signed a waiver, showed proof of age, etc...
If this is the case, you can create "office-use" fields on your registration forms that only check-in staff can see. Here's an example that helps check-in staff ensure the registrant has signed the event waiver: