Learn how setup your event to accept payments from your participants using your existing Stripe Account (U.S.A. & Canada only).
ClearEvent uses Stripe to provide an extremely easy & affordable way for your event to collect credit card payments through your registration forms and ticket sales.
If you need to create a new Stripe account, this can be done by following the steps in this help article.
Connect Stripe To Your Event
Please follow the steps below to connect Stripe to your event. ClearEvent has made this easy by automating the process. If you don't have a Stripe account, you will be able to create one as you go through this process.
It only takes a few minutes to set up a new Stripe account.
An Important Note About Using Multiple Stripe Accounts:
If you have multiple events running in ClearEvent, we recommend you connect a unique Stripe account to each of your events. You know your event best and using the same account for multiple events is also valid.
The advantages of using a separate Stripe account for each event include:
- Allow you to use a different tax ID, if your events are owned by different legal entities. (However, if it’s the same legal entity, you can still use the same tax ID and business information for different accounts.)
- Reconciling your income for each event will be much easier.
- Use the same bank account with multiple Stripe accounts.
It's easy to add new Stripe accounts from your Stripe Dashboard (don't worry it's free to create as many Stripe accounts as you like).
Here's a quick demo that shows you how to set up a new Stripe account.
How to connect to Stripe:
To connect to your Stripe account so that your event can take payments, go to the Event Manager App > Payments section and click the "Connect with Stripe" button:
If You Already Have A Stripe Account:
- The system will navigate to Stripe's sign up page.
- If you are not already signed in to Stripe, click the "Already have a Stripe account? Sign in" link (top-right corner of the Stripe Sign Up form) and enter your Stripe username and password. The text is small and Stripe's Sign in link is easy to miss!
- Stripe's simple authorization page will load and then allow you to authorize the connection of your existing Stripe account to your event in ClearEvent.
- If you have more than one Stripe account, use the pull-down list to select the Stripe account you wish to connect to your event.
- If you have more than one event in ClearEvent, make sure you choose a Stripe account that's not connected to any other event in ClearEvent.
- Click Connect My Stripe account.
- Your Stripe account will be connected to your event and you'll be redirected back to ClearEvent. This process may take a minute or two, so please be patient.
When you finish the above steps, you will be ready to collect payments from your event participants (competitors, VIPs, vendors, sponsors, etc.).
Test Mode & Live Mode:
By default, when you connect a Stripe Account the Payment Gateway will be set to Test mode to allow you to test any paid registrations without charging your credit card. You'll need to verify your event and set payments to Live mode before you can accept live payments.
Configure Your Fees: Forms
Go to the Event Manager App > Forms section to configure fees for any of your registration forms you have setup for your various participant types.
Configure Your Fees: Tickets
Go to the Event Manager App > Tickets section to configure tickets and for any that are a paid ticket, the processing will use the Stripe account configured.
The Stripe Sign Up Form
This is what the Stripe Sign up page looks like when it first loads for you. Notice the Sign in link at top right.
Connecting Multiple Events To Stripe
You can set up as many events in ClearEvent as you need. The key consideration for payments, is that each event should be connected to a separate Stripe account.
This is very important, because certain functions, such as refunds, may not work as expected if you need to change the Stripe accounts connected to your event at a later time.
Each Stripe account can transfer funds to the same bank account or to different bank accounts, as you prefer. You can set up as many Stripe accounts as you need and you will have a single login for Stripe. You'll be able to access and manage each Stripe account directly from your Stripe Dashboard.
Create New Stripe Accounts (Multiple Events)
Before you configure your Stripe for any additional events, first create a new Stripe account.
We do not recommend connecting the same Stripe account to multiple events in ClearEvent. Instead, create new Stripe account for each event and then connect each account to a unique event. You can manage all your accounts from your Stripe Dashboard.
How to Create A New Stripe Account
- Log into your Stripe Dashboard.
- At the top right, click your account name and choose Create New account from the dropdown menu. See a quick demo here.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and fill out the new account form to create your new Stripe account.
- Once your new Stripe account is created, it will appear in the dropdown menu under your Account Name in Stripe and will be available to connect to your new event in ClearEvent.
- Follow the steps outlined in the "How to connect to Stripe" section above to connect your Stripe account to your event.